Monday, May 2, 2011

Something Happened, Didn't It?

I sense there's been major breaking news.
Can I avoid finding out what it is?
I'm writing this on Monday, May 2 at 6:19 a.m. CST and I have a recurring question racing through my mind:

"What's up?"

Last night my wife met with some students on campus. It was one of those frantic, get a project ready for the last week of the semester kind of thing.

I'm guessing that on the way home my wife listened to the car radio.

At 10 p.m. as we were going to sleep she said this:

"Be sure to not even go near the newspaper tomorrow morning."

An Opportunity
I want to continue to be candid here and testify accurately to the realities of being Van Winkled as I'm experiencing them.

Throughout the project to date my attempts to avoid information about news, entertainment, weather and sports have not resulted in the kind of pristine ignorance one might expect of a man living castaway on a desert island.

No surprise. I live a low-key life, but I'm not completely isolated. I have friends, I have a job, I get out and about.

So, despite my usually attentive efforts to avoid such, there have been "leaks." Fragments of news insidiously manage to slip through.

This is disappointing in many ways. I'm going to all this trouble, yet when I wake up on Sept. 11, 2011, I'm not going to be completely surprised...

But now I have a fresh chance.

Placing "Clueless" Under Lock and Key
Something just happened. Right? And all I know about it is a result of my almost falling out of bed when my wife mentioned it in the vaguest of terms. She then took pity on me and added cryptically, "It's not bad. Just be ready. You'll probably hear some people talking about it."

Okay. Bad or good, let's amp up this experiment a bit.

I am going to try to take every possible precaution in order not to find out about this event, whatever it was.

For the next few days, I'm going to keep my head down and my ears sealed until perhaps it blows over and people move on to the next thing.

Can I do it?

Do you have any idea what I'm talking about?

I suppose you do.

But take my word for it. I don't. - V.W.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment